Thursday 19 April 2007

Mixed Pickle (marcha, gajar, tindora keri) / (Chillies, Carrots, Tindora and green Mango)

Recently I had dinner at Rani's in Finchley, the best Gujarati restaurant, they had pickled tindora with mustard, so I thought I would try it. It is based on my Chilli Pickle posted earlier.

Ingredients
4 oz chillis
4 oz tindora
2 carrots
2 green mangoes
1 tablespn salt
1 tablespn hulled and roughly ground mustard
1/2 tspn tumeric
2 tbspn oil
4 tbspn lemon juice

Method
1. Wash and dry the vegetables
2. Cut the vegetables into long slices (see pic)
3. Mix with salt and leave overnight
4. Arrange the vegs on a clean tea towel, let then air dry overnight.
5. Place the vegetables in a large bowl, take a small jar add the oil, lemon juice, mustard seeds and tumeric to it.
6. Close the lid and mix, pour onto the vegetables, mix.
7. Put the pickle into clean jars, close the lid.

The pickle is ready to serve!

6 comments:

Sharmi said...

such a nice way of showing the making of pickle.looks so good.

Saju said...

thanks Sharmi

zlamushka said...

Dear Saju,

You have no idea how long i have been looking for a good chili achar recipe. Having seen this one and the green chili achar you posted earlier it looks like finally I got what I wanted. I need to try it and let you know.
My most favorite is the one from Patak´s. I dont know whether u tried it, but that one is the best. I ve been trying to find a recipe to re-create it and yours comes very very close...
So, i ll get back to you with the results :=)

Zlamushka

zlamushka said...

Oops, I forgot my question.
For both pickles (green chili and mixed pickle)...

You end up saying ready to serve... Doesnt it need at least a week to 'sit'? if so, in a fridge or dark cold place is enough? Should it also be airtight?

thanx a lot

Saju said...

I serve immediately, (can't wait), but the pickle improves with time, better after 2 wks, but in my house it never lasts that long!!

manisha0_0 said...

Hi Saju,

I have a question. You first applied salt and left it over night and then you spread it out on tea towel and left it over night.

You what happens during the day time?
Does this process takes in total two nights?

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED, ALL RECIPES ARE THE ORIGINAL CREATION OF CHACHI'S KITCHEN. ALL PHOTOS BY CHACHI'S KITCHEN. PLEASE DO NOT POST OR PUBLISH WITHOUT CITING. CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS: CHACHISKITCHEN (AT) GMAIL (DOT) COM.